12/09/2010

I'm an addict

I really am an oatmeal-addict. It just makes my morning. I already start to panic when I discover my oatmeal storage starts to reduce. Result: I always have two containers of Quaker oatmeal in storage.

Just in case ;).

It is incredible I discovered oatmeal only two years ago. I have experimented a lot with my breakfast. In the past I ate only fruit for breakfast. Some people may know that it is one of the principles of Fit For Life, promoted by Harvey and Marilyn Diamond, two American writers. Other dietary principles of FFL is eating predominantly "live...high-water-content" food and avoiding eating animal protein combined with complex carbohydrates.

The last principle is something I always try to obey in my “hot, boiled or steamed meals”. But let’s talk about this later.

The fruit breakfast just didn’t work for me. The fruit quickly satisfied me, but only after an hour I felt hungry again. I had no control over my fruit portions. Sometimes I ate 8 apples at once. Just trying to fill my stomach. I could eat dozens of fruit but could not still my hunger. I tried to combine apples with grapefruit, pears, kiwi, strawberries etc. but the huge hunger never died. I had to try other things so I decided to eat more satisfying foods like bread or cereals. My daily sandwich with honey was born. I love honey. I love the natural taste of sweetness. Combined with a huge bowl of tea makes it an ideal breakfast. No hungry feelings after an hour. After this sweet breakfast I was able to function about 3 hours without eating anything. Superb.

But you know, I’m a woman and I feel bored quite rapidly. So after a while I wanted something new. I was curious and interested in what a ‘warm’ breakfast would do with me. Hot meals satisfy me better than cold (sandwich) meals. So I decided to try oatmeal. To be honest, I first didn’t like the taste, not even the texture of this dish. But now… I adore it! I love the taste of pure oats. I never add any kind of sugar, only a pinch of cinnamon. Did I say a pinch? I mean a spoonful of cinnamon. Not a teaspoon, what did you think?! A full tablespoon. Yes, cinnamon also makes my day.

Did you ever answer the following typical question: ”For what food can people wake you up in the middle of the night?”

Oh yeah, oatmeal it is!

3 opmerkingen:

  1. I'm an oatmeal addict too, I can't stand ANY day without it and if, from some reason, i can't eat it in the morning, i MUST have it for another meal xD
    love your blog! <3

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen