3/10/2011

Buckwheat Sesame Granola

I few weeks ago, I discovered this very good granola recipe. The most important thing I like about the recipe is the fact that you become real granola chunks. I love chunks in my yofu!

I've experienced a lot with making granola. I've made at least 15 different granola's, just by adding or leaving out some ingredients.

But my Buckwheat Granola with Sesame Seeds is the winner of my trial.

Adding buckwheat in granola is something I saw Kath doing. Buckwheat is so crunchy. So if you want to become a crunchy granola, just try buckwheat. It's a must!


Buckwheat Sesame Granola
Inspired by Kath

Ingredients

Dry
- 150 gr rolled oats
- 75 gr raw buckwheat
- 40 gr sunflower seeds
- 20 gr pumpkin seeds
- 40 gr sesame seeds
- a pinch of ground cinnamon

Wet
- 100 gr applesauce (unsweetened)
- 35 gr maple syrup
- 35 gr honey
- 1 tbsp coconut or canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract

Mix-Ins
- 40 gr almonds (chopped)
- 40 gr dried cranberries
- 40 gr raisins

Method


1. Preheat oven to 150°C/300°F.
2. Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl.


3. Take another bowl and combine the wet ingredients.
4. Mix dry and wet ingredients until every oat, seed, nut, buckwheat is covered with the wet 'stuff'.
5. Pour the granola on the baking sheet and place it in the oven.
6. Bake for a final 35-45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. The granola should become completely dry and golden brown.
7. Remove from oven and stir in the mix-ins (these will toast a little from being with the other ingredients).
8. Cool completely before putting into a container.

6 opmerkingen:

  1. this looks AMAZING! I am not a fan of the taste of buckwheat though but maybe it gets blended in with the other flavors? do you use buckwheat groats? like the small triangles?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Buckwheat in granola is such a great idea!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. ive been seeing a couple granola recipes lately and this definitely caught my attention!! im in love with all the ingredients you used, especially pumpkin seeds, buckwheat, maple syrup and raisins!!! <3 GREAT GRANOLA RECIPE!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Mmm... I love the look of the pumpkin seeds. I've never thought of adding applesauce to granola, what a great idea!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. Hi Sabine,

    Yes, I used the raw buckwheat groats, the small triangles. See picture: http://livefoodexperience.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/buckwheat.jpg.
    It really gets blended with the good flavors of maple syrup and apple sauce.
    You have to try it!

    Thanks Kelsey! I love this granola too. I would eat it everyday!

    Hi Elizabeth! Thanks for passing by.
    The pumpkin seeds really become bigger in the oven, like they explode a bit.
    I've seen a lot of bloggers who add applesauce to granola. It's great!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. That looks amazing! I will have to make then when I get home!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen