10/26/2011

Cauliflower Sushi or Sushi without Rice

A few weeks ago, I discovered sushi. A lot of friends tried to convince me for a long time to visit some local Japanese sushibar, but eating raw fish and rice didn't sound too attractive. I actually have always been a bit afraid of foreign cuisine, foreign food and the most of all Asian foods. I did not understand why friends always reacts like 'Ooh yes!' or 'Mmm!' when they talk about sushi. It's some fish and rice and some veggies and a seaweed sheet... Tasty? Huh?!


But after a few weeks, after my boyfriend was complaining and trying to convince me to go to a sushibar, and I kept on refusing and ate a stupid toast for dinner, my boyfriend brought some leftovers from the bar.
And yes, don't be surprised, he got me. The sushi'bacteria'.

It's good! It tastes so so good! Really, you have to try it. It's original, it's something new. Even if you are as stubborn and self-willed like me, you have to try it!

Two weeks later I wanted to make sushi at home. We bought Starters Kit, had some good friends who came to visit (afterwards we discovered they were real sushi speciliasts) and made sushi for 4. We scoredand realised how easy it is to make, with less ingredients.


But some of you know I believe in the good benefits of food combining. You know: never combine concentrated protein (fish, meat, poultry, eggs, cheese, ...) with concentrated carbohydrates (potatoes, pasta, rice, bread, some legumes, ...). You're plate must be loaded by veggies.

But sushi = protein (fish) + carbohydrates (rice) + few veggies.

But today, I wanted sushi! Food Combining Friendly Sushi. Sushi without rice.
Thanks to Google (and off course the people who came up with the idea) I've made some great sushi without. Or yes, with 'Cauliflower Rice'.


Cauliflower Sushi or Sushi without Rice

Ingredients:

- 1 or 2 nori sheet
- 250-300 gram cauliflower, raw and washed
- cucumber, sliced
- carrots, sliced
- protein: meat, smoked or raw salmon, trout, tuna, surimi, ...
- balsamic vinegar
- own addings (avocado, asparagus, wasabi, ...)

Method:

First make the 'Cauliflower Rice'.
Process fresh cauliflower in a blender or food processor until it is the size of rice.
Microwave it in a covered dish. It's not necessary (you better don't), but you can add 2-3 tablespoons of water. Add some balsamic vinegar (or rice vinegar like in 'real sushi'), set aside and let cool completely.

Now, make the sushi like you would make real sushi. Watch video for instructions.

Serve with some salad to add more veggies and serve with some balsamic vinegar for sopping you're sushi in it!


Tasty, really, try it!

4 opmerkingen:

  1. Hey,

    super toevallig (na die groentenpasta) maar ook nu weer probeerde ik afgelopen een gelijkaardig receptje uit, maar dan met pastinaak in plaats van bloemkool (uit het kookboek "verrassend veggie"). Viel ook hier enorm in de smaak. De volgende keer probeer ik het met bloemkool.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. MMMMMM,...Jour sushi rolls look so, appetizing & apart too! :)

    Many greetings from a foodie from Brussels! :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Hey Tine :) Natuurlijk spreek ik ook Nederlands! groetjes, !!!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. i love homemade sushi!...!! I love wasabi!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen