4/22/2011

Holy Apple Boatmeal

I'm in love with a new breakfast.
You all know about my oatmeal-addiction. The fact is, I now made something completely different, but with the same ingredients and yes, with lots of oats.

I really was intrigued by the baked oatmeal breakfast recipes from you bloggers.
Katie made such cute Baby Oatmeal Cakes. You really have to check out all the parodies of her recipe!

Actually, I'm not a cake/muffin lover. I always find it too greasy, too sugary, too sticky. But this cake-like breakfast 'muffin' is sooooo delicious!


I slightly changed the quantities of the ingredients.
Here is what I did:

Baked Apple Oatmeal Cake ('Apple Boatmeal')

Ingredients
- 30 g oats (instant)
- 50 g unsweetened applesauce
- 30 g/ml milk (dairy-free)
- a pinch of baking powder
- a pinch of baking soda (optional)
- a pinch of salt (optional)
- a pinch of cinnamon
- some drops of vanilla
- 10 g raisins (or other dried fruit you like)

You also can add some seeds (sesame, flaxseed, pumpkin, sunflower, ...) or nuts (walnuts, almonds, ...). Or you can add some fresh fruit too, like blueberries, chopped strawberries, raspberries, banana, apple, ...

Directions

Preheat oven to 180°C/385°F. Combine oats, baking powder and soda, salt and cinnamon. Then add wet ingredients (milk, applesauce and vanilla). Add the raisins at the end.
Pour into a small baking pan, loaf pan, or 1-cup ramekin. Be sure to lightly grease your pan. I used coconut oil.
Bake for about 20-25 minutes, until firm.
Finally, set your oven to “high broil” for 3 more minutes or until desired crispy-ness is reached. After it comes out of the oven, let it cool for a few minutes, then invert the ramekin.

Congrats with your own-made Apple Boatmeal!

If you don't like apples or much more like bananas, just replace the applesauce with a mashed 1/2 banana.

The picture is one of my baked oatmeals I made yesterday. Today, I added some chopped raw rhubarb. God, what a great idea! You hàve to try this!

Other great ideas I'll try soon:

In the microwave:
- Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Cookie (with egg)
- Baked Banana Oatmeal (eggless)
- 3 Minute Oatmeal Cookie
- Baked Buckwheat

If you want something different from oats, here's a recipe with quinoa flakes. This will be my next breakfast challenge!

Oh, curious about my lunch today?

A quick snap!


A slice very dark whole wheat bread (Bauern Schwarzbrot) with homemade guacamole.
And a glass of 'Aperitivo De Vegetales'.

Weekend!

2 opmerkingen:

  1. i have been wanting to make baked oatmeal forever!!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. i've been wanting to try these, but i've been hesitant!
    your review has pushed me over though! i'll have to try them soon now

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen